Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Ipad & WX Weather

So if you're like me, you've gone out and bought an Ipad.  I actually think it's a great Pilot resource.  My main reason was the new apps that were coming out giving you all the information and maps you could possibly need.  My app was Foreflight and it wasn't long before I stopped buying charts all together.  The free trial to Foreflight sold me on something that was just awesome.  I know, I've heard all the arguments of paper charts.  I even had one get sucked out the door while in training and flying solo.  A lot of good that paper chart did me.  Anyway, since the FAA has approved EFB's for Part 91, why not take advantage of the technology.  It's not like you can't find the ground?  The more I used my Foreflight and my Ipad the more I loved it.  Then Foreflight came out with GPS capability with a little device called the "Bad Elf".  Another great investment for just $75.00.  It pays to shop around!  This tiny little plug in brings my Ipad to life and I've had the opportunity to match it against more expensive plug in GPS units and it performed just as well as the big guys.  You got to love that!
So, after using my Ipad for about a year it was time for my IFR check ride.  I showed up that day with my flight plan, a paper chart and my Ipad.  As we progress through the ground check, I could tell this was going to be an interesting test of my Ipad use.  My CFII was very thorough and old school.  At one point he asked me if the use of the Ipad was legal.  We walked out to a local computer and after going on the AOPA site I searched EFB and sure enough the FAA circular authorizing the use of EFB's came up.  He jotted down the number and we headed to the plane.  In the air I was lucky enough to have my Garmin 530W and my Ipad.  But more importantly was the knowledge that I had of how to use those two instruments.  I think that's the key guys!  Know what you have and know how to use it.  This is what keeps us straight and safe!
    Well, now Foreflight has come up with a team effort with Baron to provide weather on your Ipad.  I took advantage of the promotional offer and bought the system this past December, but I hadn't had the chance to use it yet.  The Baron product offers two units.  One is an XM weather receiver and the other is a WiFi transformer that broadcasts a signal to your Ipad.  This past Easter I finally had the chance to try it for myself.  You also need a subscription to XM weather.  Here's where the expense come in.  XM offers three packages, Aviator lite, Aviator and Aviator Pro.  You need to check this out and see which package suits you.  I found out that they were offering a deal on the Aviator that buy purchasing it for a year I saved enough to make it just as affordable as the Aviator Lite package.  Next step was setting it up in the plane.  For now, I just plugged the unit into my lighter plug and set it behind my passenger seat.  Later, I'm going to do something different, but I wanted to make sure this thing worked to my satisfaction.  The weather receiver plugs into the WiFi transformer which supplies power to the weather receiver so you only need one plug in.  Wala, I had weather.  I also had metars, Terminal Forecasts, winds aloft and all the choices on the map of getting cloud cover, flight rules, winds, even fuel prices.  WOW!

I did find on the way down to Lynchburg that antenna placement is important.  At first I just wasn't getting a good signal.  There is a way to go into your foreflight and even check your signal strength and satellite reception.  After moving the Weather antenna around a little, I found on the front dash was the best location and they give you plenty of antenna wire to run the thing from one end of the plane to another.  Our flight for the weekend took us to Lynchburg, VA which is a two hour flight in my plane.  All the way down and back I had great reception and was able to switch back and forth from local airport metars and forecasts to winds and even TFR's.  A great relief from guessing and switching radio frequencies to see whats going on.  All in all, I am very happy with the system that I have now.  I know that Foreflight has now teamed up with Sporties to put together another system called, Stratus ADS-B weather.  This system uses the free ADS-B provided by the FAA and a battery operated unit.  It comes out later this month and is subscription free.  My only thought here is that I hope XM weather subscriptions come down when people start making a jump.  Anyway, we will see and for now, my unit is working just fine.  Thanks for checking in and fly safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment