Friday, April 6, 2012

Gotta Love a Tail Wind

So my oldest daughter, Danelle, is heading to Arizona for the week. My mom is home from Florida and is available to watch the dog. Sounds like it's a great opportunity to fly away some where. Well, since my youngest daughter, Dawn, is in Lynchburg by herself, we decided to fly to Lynchburg, VA for Easter. Watched the weather all week and it looks good. Stopped by South Jersey Airport, KVAY, and checked on N926GZ and had the wing tips filled. That gives me 84 gallons of fuel which should be more than enough to make it all the way to Lynchburg Regional Airport, KLYH, and back. Friday morning the briefer gave us clear skies all the way to Lynchburg and by 9:00 am we were at the airport loading up the plane. I even had time to hook up my newest addition, my Baron WX weather receiver and wifi device to give my iPad weather reception and more. By 9:45 am we were wheels up and heading to the south with flight following. After a short delay due to incoming traffic to Philadelphia International, we were cleared to 6500'. Along we flew in smooth air and at 155 knots ground speed. You gotta love a tail wind! After a short turn to the south west at Pautuxet, we were inbound to Lynchburg. The air was still smooth, although a little hazy as we approached the blue ridge. Still enjoyed seeing those mountains come into site. About 15 miles out we began a nice 500' per minute descent to pattern altitude. The air was a little bumpy as we entered the pattern and prepared for final. A nice 16 mph wind at 30 made for a nice easy landing on runway 04 at Lynchburg. As we taxied off towards Falwell Aviation, I suddenly realized that it was just 11:45 am. We made it to Lynchburg in just 2 hours! wOW!! By the way,if you ever want a nice weekend away, Falwell Aviation is the FBO of Liberty University and will take great care of you and your plane. My daughter, Dawn, was waiting for us at the airport and after a short visit with David Young, the Dean of the Aviation School at Liberty, we were off with our daughter for a great Easter weekend. The moon is full as we sit here in our daughters apartment. Just thinking about what the benefits of general aviation offer us brings a smile to my face! Have a great Easter my friends! Safe travels and great memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment