Monday, April 9, 2012

Gusty Winds bring us home from Lynchburg

Well, as a typical pilot, I watch he weather constantly, especially when we're away on a trip.  Saturday night the concern for winds started showing its ugly face.  Sunday things didn't change much except for a little window in the morning.  Talk to the wife, who is really good about changing plans when we fly, and we decide to wake up early Monday morning and head to the airport.  It was a great weekend in Lynchburg with our daughter.  Friday we drove around and shopped ending with dinner at Vinnie's.  Saturday we house shopped for a possible purchase if our daughter finds a job opportunity and decides to stay in Lynchburg, VA.  Sunday was church at Thomas Roads Baptist Church for Easter with Rev. Jerry Falwell Jr.  What a terrific service and experience.  Simply awesome to say the least.
Sunday afternoon we checked out a couple more homes and then back to the apartment for a nice walk before having Easter Dinner with our daughter.  Fantastic day that even included deicing an air conditioning unit.  What are dad's for?
     Monday morning early we woke and showered and by 7:30 AM we were on our way to the airport.  Not exactly what I wanted to do, but I'm always siding on safety.  We said our goodbyes and I completed our pre-flight before contacting Lynchburg ground.  Winds were variable and runway 22 was in use.  Before long we were down the runway, in the air and heading northeast for 5,500".  The ride was not without some light turbulence and a tailwind that pushed us along at 145 to 150 knots.  Not bad for my little Cherokee 235.  We were over Pautuxet in an hour and made our turn to the North for South Jersey.  The tail wind became a quartering cross wind, but we were still able to average about 130 knots.  Hazy conditions prevailed on the way down and on the way back but I was able to manage a couple of nice pictures as we came back over the western shore of Maryland from the Chesapeake Bay.  I think I see my future home down there somewhere.  Yea, I wish!


Flight following all the way home is the only way to go.  If you're a pilot and you travel VFR or IFR, you should be talking to these guys, they are the best.  I enjoy having the protection and the company in the cockpit.  Dover switched us to Philadelphia Approach and this is where the fun begins.  About 15 miles from South Jersey we began our descent.  The wind was rocking us around, but nothing that I couldn't handle. Philadelphia released us and we were the only ones in the sky.  Probably a pretty good reason for this.  As we entered the pattern for South Jersey we were really being bounced around.  I had seen the reports for wind shear so I was really anxious about that.  Since we were the only ones in the air, I told Lynn we were going to make a nice long base to final turn and a long final into the airport.  As we started final at about 800' we slowly descended with just 2 notch's of flaps.  The wind was really howling and I was working hard to keep it stable.  Finally over the runway, a little up and down and a little power on and off and then a real nice settle to the runway.  WOW, that was fun!  NOT!  It's a times like this that I really appreciate my instructor, Durand Branch, and all the work that we did flying in winds and crosswinds.  Once on the ground it was time to taxi with wind awareness the whole time.  We were finally at the tie down and after turning off the avionics's, we pulled the mixture.  10:00 am gave us another 2 hour flight home from Lynchburg, VA.  Not bad, not bad at all.  I wonder what the traffic is like on I-95 around Washington, DC right now.  Until next time, fly safe and enjoy life.

2 comments:

  1. Fly it till you tie it is what my instructor always said. Great job dealing with the winds! I agree, the controllers through norfolk and patuxent are the best, make the ride enjoyable, IFR or VFR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did fine on most of the way home with just some lite turbulence from time to time. My wife was such a trooper though and she hung in there the whole time. The final downwind, base and final was really rocky. A whole lot easier when that CFI is sitting next to you. But really showed me what I can do! Hope to get together with you soon.

      Delete